Sales Toll Free No: 1-855-666-7446

How to Find Quartiles of Continuous Data?

TopWhen we have a Set of Numbers that are being evaluated statistically then we must know certain values that can be significant for this purpose. We can have many such values like the smallest value, largest value, median and the lower & upper quartiles. The lower quartile splits the 1st 25 % of data set and the rest i.e. 75 % of the set. Similarly, upper quartile splits the last 25 % of the data set and rest beginning portion of 75 % of the set. It is easy to find out the lower and upper quartiles. So, let us learn how to find quartiles of continuous data with help of an example:

Example: Suppose we have the following data set:

Class Interval

Frequency

10 – 20

2

20 – 30

4

30 – 40

2

40 – 50

4


Find the lower and the upper quartiles of the above continuous data?

Solution: First we determine the class marks and cumulative frequencies as follows:

Class Interval

Class marks

Frequency

Cumulative Frequency

10 – 20

15

2

2

20 – 30

25

4

6

30 – 40

35

2

8

40 – 50

45

4

12



We then find the Median as: sum of frequencies /2 = 12 /2 = 6,

So, our median class is: 30 – 40. The value of median will be evaluated as:

M = 30 + (6 – 6)/4 * 10 = 30,

Next we determine smallest and largest values in the data set:

Smallest Value: 15 and,

Largest value: 45,

To find the lower quartile: (15 + 30) /2 = 45 /2 = 22.5,

To find the upper quartile: (45 + 30) /2 = 75 /2 = 37.5,

Thus we get the values for upper and lower quartiles as 37.5 and 22.5 respectively.